Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Barefoot in the Park

Today I took Rug to the park. We had a great time.

When I first walked up, I saw a girl I sorta knew from the gym I used to work at. She worked there full time, I was a sub, for the daycare.

A little background: I've exercised at the same gym for years, and they needed someone for Tuesdays in the daycare, so I agreed to it, seeing how I would get a free membership for 1 night a week. Well, one night turned into 2, then people would call me at 3:30 to sub at 4, etc. etc. So I told the head girl I only wanted to sub. Anyhoo! Background done.

Well, when we made eye contact, I said, "Hi!" to her, very friendly, very chirpy.

I got a deadpan, "Hi" and walking away from me, no chirpy whatsoever.

Alright then, more background. A few months before I quit, this gal got fired. I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. I guess she had a beef with the boss, and started talking, and she never showed up, etc. etc. So from what I've heard, she is trying to sue for what is it, unjust termination or something? So whatever, I have Nothing. To. Do. With. That.

So what the fuck? Why does she need to drop me the cold shoulder? I barely knew her, and just because I was a semi-employee there does not mean I was in cahoots to get her fired.

I stood there for a few minutes, enjoying every minute of Riley's park visit, cuz she's gor-gee-ous. We were within 4-6 feet of this woman. I had a pretty friendly relationship with her prior, that hey-whats-going-on at local picnics and fairs or the grocery store, and now she was making every effort to avoid looking at me, let alone talk to me. This woman who obviously is a bit bitter about her axing,was taking it out on happy, park-going Me. So I decided, nope, it ain't goin' down like that.

I walked over and started petting her dog, and asking her questions, yadayadayada. Only then she had no choice but to talk to me back. We had a nice conversation, discussing school, kids, the like. She asked me if I worked there anymore, and I said no, and that was it. It was really a pleasant talk, and we left saying goodbye and have a nice day.

Kill 'em with kindness, and that is exactly what you will get back.

No comments: