Saturday, March 12, 2005

5 best concerts I've ever attended

5. Van Halen, July 2004
It was great. I'm not a huge fan, but when they played "Panama" I was re-living 8th grade instantly. They really put on a show. When Eddie Van halen's son came out and played with him, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. (well, most of them were bloodshot already anyway)

4. Robert Plant/Jimmy Page 1995
A fraction of my all-time favorite band, I saw them on the same day I graduated from college. So the whole experience was very, spiritual. Almost a metaphor for my life. My friend that went with me just complained that they didn't play Stairway to Heaven. I also recall that I was fully sober.

3. INXS and Pil 1987
Of course this was the first concert I ever went to (excluding Barbara Mandrell whom I saw with my parents in 4th grade, I don't count that, please, let's not count that). I thought to be 'alternative' I had to wear my Chuck Taylors. So I did, but unfortunately paired them with a pair of Coca-Cola pants which were all the rage at the time. INXS could have sat on the stage and played Rock Paper Scissors and I still would have had goosebumps.

2. Rick Springfield, the Pageant 2002
I love Rick, and I usually see him every time he comes into town. But this was the best one, just because he got into the audience and was just going nuts for the big ladies down in front who have lifetime memberships to his fan club. It amazed me how they bought him a bouquet of roses and all he would do was SLAM them against his guitar. "Wow, shit, I just spent like all my money on those flowers and you just DESTROYED them?? Thanks Rick!" Anyway though, he puts on a great show, plays all the great songs, and I just love him. He is my guilty pleasure and he is old enough to be my dad.

1. Lollapalooza, Summer 1992 Riverport
Nothing I will ever see will compare to this. Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Ice Cube, Ministry, Jesus Mary Chain, good GOD they were all in their prime too. The highlight though: I was strolling the little merchant tents outside, with all the hippie jewelry and pipes, etc. and I was looking down at some earrings when I heard some guy behind me say, "What should I do? Should I act star-struck?" I looked up and the guy standing next to me, looking at the SAME earrings I was, was Eddie Vedder himself. He smiled at me, and I smiled back. He turned around and of course a mob of people just engulfed him. He. Was. So. Beautiful. But the music was even better. In all my concert going years, I can still honestly say that Ministry was the best band hands down that I have ever heard. I wonder what the soccer moms would say if I put some of their music in my Grand caravan and showed up in carline to pick up the girls?!!?! Hee hee I think I'm going to do that on Monday!

No comments: