Monday, June 19, 2006

Father FIgure

When I was 4, my dad got into the inflatable jumpy-thingee with me.

When I was six, he held me down while they had to put stitches in my foot.

When I was 10, he taught me all there was to know about Lewis and Clark and then some!

When I was 12, he helped me build the Grand Prize winning science project.

When I was 14, he tried all he could to help me understand algebra (nice try, Dad, but it still hasn't stuck).

When I was 16 he played referee between me and my mom.

When I was 20, he walked with me and put his arm around me while I cried over a boy.

When I was 23, he walked me down the aisle.

When I was 24 I made him a Grandpa.

He is not perfect....the most romantic gift he ever gave my mother was a quilt rack, and he spent more of his time on his teaching job than he did us a lot of the times...but I knew grewing up that I would be lucky if I could find a man half of what he was to be the father of my kids.

My dad is techno-afraid to a fault. He still cannot figure out the call waiting on the telephone. So I know there will never be a day when he will even read my blog.

But with all the things that have happened this past week, and how tired he looked yesterday at our Father's Day BBQ, I hope he knows that I love him more than Lewis probably got tired of hearing Clark snore.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

4 comments:

Amy said...

What a neat post. YOur dad sounds like a real gem, Jana.

Odd Mix said...

What an excellent tribute. You are a lucky lady.

Unknown said...

That is so sweet, Jana.

Cat said...

Aw, that's a sweet post.

*rushes off to call Daddy*