Monday, July 11, 2005

Motif Monday--Costumes

Running a little late on the postings today. Today was the Day of Waiting. I waited in line at the post office to return a package that was sent to the wrong address and ended up on my doorstep, only to learn it was UPS. I waited at the grocery store, but that was OK because the cashier was pleasant and I got some crumb cakes. I waited at the hospital because I took Al in for an x-ray, which was totally not on the agenda for today but still I waited. I guess she's fine because I WAITED and no one came out ever to tell me if she's broken so I guess she ain't. (I would've kept her anyway) Then I promised her that since her last fishies found the drain (all drains lead to the ocean) I'd get her a new one SO I waited at Petzmart for two. fishies. Then I waited for the toaster oven to cook my Tater Tots and then I ate them. So that's it in a nutshell.

I've never been really great at costumes but the two best costumes I ever had were:

1. 6th grade--my dad (the Teacher) had a novel idea that since it was 1986 and since EVERYONE knew it was the centennial of the Statue of Liberty, I should honor her with dressing like her for Halloween. okay, first of all, I was really too old to be trick-or-treating anyway, but somehow I got roped into it and it turned out pretty cool although I had to draw the line when Dad wanted the silver metallic paint he'd just used to paint my brother's boxcar to be applied to my FACE, but I did win some contest. And yet there is no photographic evidence whatsoever of this.

2. 2001--Both my daughters were loving the 101 Dalmatians so they dressed up like the dogs and I was Cruella de Vil and LP was Jasper, the dog-nabber. I kept forgetting that I was dressed up and I kept seeing kids I knew and freaking them the hell out. I had the wig and all, and I would see a kid and say, "Helllllloooooo" and they would run screaming. I felt bad but it felt gooooood. Of note, I have a very ROUND face and Cruella is pretty pointy so that didn't work out so well for me but it was still lots of fun.

You can tell the difference in my daughters' personalities by their choices of costumes:

Al: Tigger, Scooby-Doo, dog, Powerpuff Girl, butterfly, cat, witch, pirate
Rug: dog, Sleeping Beauty, Tinkerbell, and her choices for this year are either Belle or Jasmine

Top 3 best costumes I've ever seen:
3. In college, some girl got a white garbage bag, stuffed it with paper and called her self 'white trash'
2. At a party, this guy had the best Frankenberry costume, handmade of course.
1. If you know what an afro and a purple Lakers jersey on a white guy look like, then you know it's none other than Mr. Babar, with two b's, but not right next to each other.

Here is what I'm going as this year!!! you're my only hope, yeah I know I'm a geek.

1 comment:

paintergirl said...

Ok first off-if something is mailed to you-you can keep it. I have a hard time with this one too, being so honest and all. The truth is you can keep it.

I'm glad Alex is ok.

Love your costumes! I love Halloween.

Best outfit I ever had, I was a warrior nun-Areala. A comic book character. I was about 30 and wore it to work and won 2nd place. The winner was Blair Witch's messed up half sister. I think there are pictures somewhere of us fighting in the front of our office. A good time was had by all.