Wednesday, October 26, 2005

weenie roast

This past weekend we took the girls to a hayride/bonfire. It was thrown by the parents of one of the girls in A's 3rd grade class (note--I really need to get some cute nicknames for my kids don't I?). They are building a new house and have a lot of land.

the dad took all the kids on a hayride. We stayed by the fire. When they got back, it was time to go, as it was raining and cold and just yucky.

As soon as A came towards me, I could see something was wrong. As we got into the car, she said, "Mom, the girls were all talking about boy's privates and it made me uncomfortable."

I tried not to show it but in my head I was thinking, "WTF! In 3rd grade! Oh my holy cow we are already THERE? Yipes!" I told her when we got home and warm we could talk about it a little more in depth.

I asked her about it, and apparently one of the girls has a little brother, so it was more 'weiner' talk than anything, silly, making other people laugh kind of talk, not so much the anatomy and what it does, per se. I felt a little better about that anyway!

But it made her feel uncomfortable, and I'm not sure if I should jump for joy or be concerned that my daughter is uninformed about it all. I like to think we're pretty open about stuff, she is aware we have different plumbing, but it's just not something you go around talking about...I don't want her to feel uncomfortable all the time, I want her to feel confident!!

Hoo boy I am not ready to take this on just yet......

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A real innovative blog. Don't stop now. You're on the right way! I'm sure you may be interested in scommesse . Just scommesse

Unknown said...

I wish I had some words of advice for you, Jana... hmph. Where's Susie when you need her?! ;)

(It feels like I'll have to talk to Punkin about "stuff" any day now... and I'm nervous about it, too.)

Nessa said...

I had "the talk" with my 3rd grader last year - here's the link - I don't know if it will help...totally came out of the blue for me too - of course, having the baby boy around helps with making the differences not so uncomfortable...she changes his diaper...anyway - you can always try it!

http://sillyfamily.blogspot.com/2005/04/today-is-spd-but-i-have-something-more.html

Nessa said...

hahahaha - I said "last year" - well, technically, it WAS the last school year!

Vajana said...

CK: I have a feeling it will completely throw me off guard. I am really hoping I will be able to in some way quote Homer Simpson during the conversation.

Nessa: OM gawd lady you rock. What a great conversation. I think you need to start touring the country with seminars on how to talk to your kid about sex. Wowza.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Well, see, you get her a copy of "Gray's Anatomy" and let her figure it out for herself. This is The American Way.