Monday, March 31, 2008

Lost in Space








Last week was spent with the computer down and out in Beverly Hills. Therefore I could not blog, and all of you were miserable with out me, I just know it.

I have still not missed a workout since my bout with the stomach flu, but have still not lost one pound (except for the weight I lost when I HAD the stomach flu, go figure). I worry my bet with LP may not be fulfilled, I will keep trucking though. I know muscle weighs more than fat, and this is what keeps me going on the treadmill.

I'm so excited...and it is not because the weather has been especially awful lately. Within one hour last week I cemented my summer concert plans and spent mega bucks...on FOO FIGHTERS tickets AND Tom Petty & the Heartbreaker tickets w/ Steve Winwood!!! So LP and I have guaranteed us at the least two date nights for this summer. I love Steve Winwood. Tom Petty, he's OK, but it is at the outdoor venue in St. Louis and just about any concert there is fun. Plus I'll be with LP and his new car, if he lets me ride in it still after scratching it.

Next we have my big purchase. Yes, I've been saving my pennies, nickels and dimes to get it. I did an 'outside' job to make the money to afford myself an iPhone. It is so much fun, I love it and the main reason I got it was the iTunes capability. It is very fun to work out with. It was between that and the Tilt, which is the much less advertised equivilant to the iPhone. I got the latter because the Tilt is for nerdy techno geeks like my husband, and I'm just a soccer mom tryin' to get through the week without forgetting to make it to a practice.

No, this blog has not become a cell phone review site, but I have to tell you that everyone in America should have access to YouTube the way I do. Okay, maybe not. For posterity, the first video I watched was, naturally, the Foo Fighters "Pretender" video, and then, Men At Work's "Down Under". Because I am an incredibly diverse individual. And my instant access to You Tube has taught me watching walruses dance to Michael Jackson may just be more important than any presidential race going on.

OK, so last but certainly not least it was Rug's First Communion this weekend, and we had the family over. This is what I wanted to post last week, about how my in-laws are just the most fun-loving gang of people you'd ever want to be around. I kid, of course. They're direct from Satan's Helpers, and could use a little Tequila dancing to cheer them up (and if you know that vague Pee Wee Herman reference, you are forever endeared to me).

Anyway, my mother-in-law from Hell...(which could be shortened to MILFH but that looks far too close to MILF which, in case you didn't know, is an acronym for something far nicer than she ever will be) has in the last 12 years of my wedded bliss to LP, destroyed my esteem and beaten my self-assuredness to a pulp. I have chosen not to speak of these people often on this blog, with exception for the one sentence mention of their insanity, because I do not like to give them air time. Plus I never wanted to be the person who smack talks behind their backs.

Okay, I'm just rambling. The point is, my MILFH has made it quite clear that she believes I am a blundering idiot. Which I am not. (Contrary to what I may have told you) She has taken it upon herself to declare HER daughter (my sister-in-law, my husband's step-sister) the Official Cake Maker of Any and All Family Get Togethers. So when I told her I would be making the cake for Rug's Communion, she scoffed and said, "Well, I think SIL should do it. You need to ask her first before you do it." Uh, no, I don't. It's MY kid's Communion, I should be able to make the cake, right?

So, for 2 weeks I spent researching cake decorating, and planning and buying and more or less making the kitchen a den for cursing and pan throwing. LP steered clear. Finally, I achieved a final product, and while everyone raved about how good the cake was, all my MILFH said was, "I couldn't help but notice you don't have any ROSES on your cake."
Ogre.

Okay, getting that off of my chest, there were many, many other things said and done yesterday that makes me come to the conclusion I can no longer allow such negative behavior be viewed by my children. I'm terrible at confrontations, but something must be done. Any in law advice would be of great help. I really prefer positive attitudes and general respect of others to what I've been dished out here.
But, once again being a Tigger and not an Eeyore, the day was beautiful, Rug was gorgeous, and I am so blessed with an amazing family.

And Mo has finally learned how to say "Mommy"!!! She still says "Spongebob" a lot more, but I'll take anything I can get at this point!! So she confuses me with a square sponge, so what?

Here is a picture of MY cake, and of course it is not from Ace of Cakes but it was made with a helluva lot of love:

3 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Nice job, kiddo. That cake looks good enough to....um....to...uh......eat(?).

Unknown said...

As the Non-Favorite Daughter In Law in my family I have to say I completely appreciate your story and honestly? I think that cake KICKS ASS.

Booyah!

Choppzs said...

Thanks for the stop-by!

I to, often have times where I must spill about my FIL. My MIL is fine, we get along, but it's my FIL that drives me up the wall. Luckily they all live on the other side of the country, and I don't have to see them but once or twice a year!

And your cake does kick some serious ass! I bet it tastes just as good as it looks too! Good work!