Thursday, March 16, 2006

The time is NOW people


There is a very detrimental social issue that has been all but ignored in our culture. It is yet another obvious sign of the Apocalypse, as well as the fall of our civilization as we know it today.

Hollywood has gone mad, people.

The movie remakes, are OUT OF CONTROL. Completely.

But where are the boycotts? Why are we accepting these horrible, putrid facades to continue? When will the madness stop?

About 10 years ago, I worked as an after-school tutor. I had a very smart, young girl as one of my students, who just needed some extra time for her work (Her parents were the Super Parents, and had enlisted this poor child in every activity under the sun, and then could not understand why she was getting poor grades. I digress.). One night, we were correcting her homework, and she got 100%, and I said, "Hey hey hey!" and she looked at me quizzically. "you know, Fat Albert." "Uh, no. Who's he?"

At the time I was only 23, and could only accept that her parents did not educate her well enough on what was to me, a very important part of culture, that was 70s and 80s morning cartoons. I did not realize at the time that instead of turning into nostalgic lost icons of the past, they would turn instead, into a far, far worse monster than I could ever conjure up.

Fat Albert is now imprinted on the minds of today's youth as the guy from SNL.

Scooby Doo is now a 'real life' movie, made up of Freddie Prinze Jr. in a bad wig (who should be ashamed of himself, considering his lineage).

Willy Wonka is no longer the sweet singing Gene Wilder, but some whacked out Hunter S. Thompson wannabe of Johnny Depp.

I won't even DISCUSS the Bewitched debacle, don't bring it up.

When will it stop people? Dukes of Hazard? Starsky and Hutch? My GOD we must put our collective feet down!!

One of the best parts of being a parent is being able to share with your children the things that made you happy as a child as well. It's my duty and RIGHT as a parent to corrupt them with the same crazy lessons I learned from the movies I saw as a kid. They should know about Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Witch Mountain and the Apple Dumplings gangs. Not some poor imitations!!

I refused to allow my girls to go see the 'new' Pink Panther movie. The only reason I will allow them to see 'the Shaggy Dog' is because Tim Allen can do it justice, and they won't watch the first one because they are adverse to anything in black and white (which is such a shame, but thank goodness "Bye Bye Birdie" was in color!!). But what options do we have instead?? "She's the Man"...oh wait, that's a remake of Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night'...."Aquamarine"....wait, that's basically a rip off of "Splash"....sigh.

I guess we'll just play with our Easy bake Oven this weekend and make Play-Doh pizza.

P.S. This post was inspired by THIS INFORMATION. Is nothing sacred????

3 comments:

Unknown said...

*STOMP*

There. I just put my foot down. I'm with you Jana. It's just crazy.

ShyRocket said...

V V funny post and oh so true... but a serious matter, too. We need to strike out against these atrocities.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Play-Doh pizza? What the hell is that? I'm looking for a fast game of migs.

(Migs = marbles.)