Thursday, May 28, 2009

book club



i put this pic up, becuz this is the one i like better, Mo did something that made Al and I laugh, and Rug was, well being Rug, so this fits us nicer than the 'posed' pic from before. Love it.

I went to Borders with the girls the other day as we had some time to spare, and I was looking for a book someone had suggested, "I am the Messenger". I looked everywhere, but could not find it, and had a 2-year-old tearing through there knocking books down and causing havoc, so I just gave up. I grabbed a quick Greece travel guide for LP and of course the other 2 had already picked out about 15 books between the two of them, of which I told them to narrow down to one each.

At the counter, the woman at the register said, "Did you find everything?" a question I know they are required to say to me, to get that one last sale, and I said, "NO DAMMIT! i NEED A book to read! and I can't find one!"

(you who have read my blog for years know, of course i didn't say this but it sounds so much better than the 'not realllly' that was uttered). She pointed to a stack of books next to the register and said, "this will make you laugh". I grabbed one off the top, gave it to her to scan and said, 'Done.'

I NEVER do this. I have to know about a book before I buy it, and really want it. It takes at least one good review or recommendation for me to even get a book at the LIBRARY.

When I got home, I started to read it, and could barely get through the first chapter. This was with LP watching baseball, and Rug and Mo wrestling on the bed I was trying to read it in.

The next night I gave it another try, and could not put it down. Then of course, I made the biggest reading mistake and read the rest of it in one night. Now I'm sad it's over.

In the first few pages, we learn about the main character, who used to work in bookstores, and who talks about how her and her co-worker would NEVER suggest the books near the cash register, as they were usually the ones the publishers are trying to push, but instead take the reader to Jane Eyre way in the back.

At that point, I realized I had just been duped by a publisher...but happily so. Because although I read (and loved) the publisher's pushed book...it also convinced me to go read Pride and Prejudice, a book the character would have recommended instead anyway!

Now I'm off to start another book, one I've already decided I probably won't love, since it's about CANCER and really, not too excited to read but it was a gift, so I feel compelled. After that I'm re-reading "On a Pale Horse" a Piers Anthony book I read in junior high, about the Immortal Death, that I want Al to read but want to be sure it's not too racy for her...and then Pride and Prejudice is next on the list.

So I'm not the lady at the cash register, and I would wholeheartedly recommend "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" to anyone who wants a good, funny read. You'll love it. Just get past the first chapter. :) In a sense, it reminds me of my internet friends, people whom I have never met, and probably never will, but we can band together and feel as close as anyone can in 'real' life. My own society, as it were.

No potato peels though. That's just gross.

1 comment:

kalki said...

I can't get over how much your girls look like you, and how YOUNG you look! Once your girls are adults, people will swear you're their sister.