Do you all remember a few months ago when I said Rug was nominated to win a trip to Greece to play soccer?
Yeah, well, she won.
I know, I am SOOOO thrilled and excited. But of course, with everything, this comes with a big decision.
See, she gets her trip as well as ONE adult, paid for. That leaves us with me, Al and Mo to pay for ourselves.
Now on first look, this was a no brainer, right? I mean, a chance of a lifetime.
Here come the contigencies:
1. I have only had my job since August, so the likelihood of me getting the specified days off is iffy to probably non existent.
2. On average, this trip will cost about $2000 per person. We are getting $$$ for 2 of us, but that leaves us with 3 left. That's $6000, not including food. I think we may have to eat, going on past experiences. I haven't tried to not eat for a week, but maybe it is doable. Then again, all my past experiences have not included being surrounded by sumptious Greek food 24/7.
3. Then there is the whole kid under 3 issue in a foreign country. i mean, i have a hard enough time controlling her at Target. Can you imagine me containing her on a 9 hour flight? i can't foresee me getting off that flight having made lifelong friends. Furthermore, I have heard the streets of Greece aren't exactly stroller-friendly, and toting a 2-year-old around who has no interest in the Parthenon seems to completely have the opposite effect on my excitement. That is what it boils down to...do I want to spend $$$$$ on a 'trip of a lifetime' that I probably won't enjoy as much having to deal with meltdowns, and trying to appease a child while I am looking at ancient ruins? It's not like I can afford a nanny here, people. Although...Sue? Charlotte? Want to go to Greece? Would you be willing to swim over?
4. On the other hand...the other option would be to leave little Mo behind with grandparents. Seems easy enough right? Hmm. First off, you haven't met the grandparents, so there's that to consider. Secondly, could I really leave her behind? What if something, God forbid, happened to us, I would leave her here to grow up alone without us? I couldn't stand the thought.
5. So here is the other thing, which, only a psychotic Disney person like myself would suggest. Actually, LP was the one who suggested it. If Al, Mo and I stayed back, that would save us about $7000 which we could use towards one KICK ASS of a trip to Disney world later in the year. I'd accrue more time off from work, plus it would be a trip we know we would ALL enjoy, hands down. And we could even stay at the Polynesian if we wanted to!!! And have like every dinner be a character meal! What say you!?!?!! (dang it when are they going to have a character meal with Jack Sparrow? That would be way cool).
Okay, so there it is. Regardless of what happens, I am so proud of my daughter, and what an opportunity, right? I mean, wow! She is a stud, for sure. If anything, she can bring me back some souvlaka.